Wednesday, July 28, 2010

On my way to Taiwan...

As some of you may know, I am originally from Kansas. My parents came from Kaohsiung, Taiwan to Manhattan, Kansas in the late '60s to study at Kansas State University. Very few people know that within Taiwanese-American circles, K-State is known as the "Military College of Taiwan Independence" because so many Taiwanese intellectuals and dissidents came through there at one point or another to study. You're probably asking -- why Kansas? Like any immigrant community, all it takes is one to establish themselves there -- then others follow. The first of those who came to K-State in the mid-60's was my godfather, Clarence Huang. For those of you who have seen Formosa Betrayed, you may recognize that we named one of our characters after him -- Professor Huang Li-Pei -- who gives our FBI Agent Jake Kelly the background on why his friend Professor Henry Wen was killed.

In any case, I'm at the airport lounge at LAX waiting for my EVA Airways flight to Taiwan, when low and behold I run into someone with a K-State shirt on -- he is a Taiwanese professor from K-State that I grew up with! What a small world! Professor Hseu is a professor of management and is on his way to Taiwan and then China for a conference. He's already seen Formosa Betrayed when it played in Kansas City back in the spring when the film was in American theaters. However, he tells me he will be back in Taiwan on August 5 -- right before our nationwide release in Taiwan on August 6! Good timing... and maybe a sign of things to come? We will see... stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment